Friday, June 09, 2006

Good ol' Edmonton

Okay, I don't know Edmonton really well. This is my first time here. But I sure wish the weather was a hell of a lot better.
For the past two days it's been rainy and windy -- quite a contrast to our experience in Raleigh where shorts and t-shirts were the norm.
Upon my first few steps into the Northlands...ahem....Rexall Place, instantly recalled my first time in Maple Leaf Gardens.
All of the new arenas have the same look and feel. They're all built in the same cookie-cutter mold with no touches of intimacy or coziness. Rexall Place, on the other hand, has history.
Television technicians don't have it easy; they had to uncoil miles of cable to make sure everything is connected and working in time for tomorrow. When I left at 5 p.m. today, they were still working hard and diligently.
I hope some people recognize their hard work.
As for the game, I'm guessing Jussi is getting the start again. I didn't get to watch Craig MacTavish's press conference today; I was busy setting up a Headliner interview.
But I did get to walk Cam Ward's sister and mother to the press conference area so they could watch him answer questions from the media. You could tell they are a very close family.
"I haven't seen that goof since February," said one of his sisters. "I want to give him a big hug."
Oh, back to the goaltender front, I really think that Ty Conklin needs another chance. Sure, he screwed up big time, but if you look at the two remaining goalies, Conklin is the better choice.
He struggled this season with injury and inconsistency, but he has performed spectacularly in the past and was a No. 1 goaltender for the Oilers in the past.
Conklin, as it has been pointed out, is accustomed to pressure on the big stage. He led the United States to the bronze medal at the 2005 world championships and was named the tournament's top goaltender.
But what do I know, really? I'm just a humble associate producer experiencing his first Stanley Cup final.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home