Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Off-day...on work.

I guess some of you are reading this so-called blog. I've received a number of e-mails, especially in the last day, about this site. All I can say is thanks. I'm glad that this little experiment is paying off.
Life on the road with Hockey Night in Canada is a busy experience and I write this thing before I go to bed. Some of them have, admittedly, been written in a drunken haze. I've noticed a couple of typos in past entries, so please ignore any in this one or any future entries. I just let my thoughts pour out on my typewriter. I don't copyedit.
So, what did I do on the off-day? I returned to the rink, of course. This time, we covered practice and shot an interview with one of the Carolina Hurricanes (I'm not saying who).
For those wondering, Dwayne Roloson did talk to the media and it looks like he is in fact out for the series. He was limping pretty badly when he walked up to the podium to address the large contingent of television, newspaper and online reporters.
So is it Jussi or Ty tomorrow night? Coach Craig MacTavish didn't say, but the smart money is on Jussi.
Conklin screwed up big time yesterday, although some would say it was just as much Jason Smith's fault and Markkanen would give the Oilers a clean slate to start on.
The big problem is that neither of these goaltenders have seen ANY playing time in the last month and a half. Both are really rusty and it's hard to believe that either of them have the mental toughness to withstand the pressure of playing in the finals.
But, we will see. Some of the crew think that Edmonton will bounce back. Some think it's wishful thinking and as one reporter said, "The Oilers are done like toast."
What do I think? This year's playoffs have been so weird and wild, I think ANYTHING can happen. You can't forget that everytime a team has changed goalies in this year's post-season, it's worked for them.
It certainly worked for Carolina in the first round with Cam Ward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home