Monday, June 05, 2006

Game 1

Ever spend three hours doing something, come back home and then say to yourself: "Did I really see that?"
Well, I'm experiencing that right now.
My first game of the Stanley Cup final was memorable. Very memorable.
For the first three rounds, I held the role as font co-ordinator/statistician. I would sit high up in the booth in Bob Cole and Harry Neale, doing out little tidbits of information as the game progressed.
For this round, not only am I shooting and producing features, but I'm following around sideline reporter Elliotte Friedman, making sure he gets to his position on time, and co-ordinating our efforts with the television truck. So for a majority of the game, I sat with him and analyst/former goaltender Kelly Hrudey watching the game in section 101, in the middle of those crazy (some would say drunk) Carolina fans.
I've never been to Edmonton, but I'm thinking these fans (called Caniacs by some) can give them a run for their money. I've never a crazier response when Rod Brind'Amour scored with 32 seconds remaining.
Elliotte and I were preparing for an overtime interview when that happened. Then our focus changed. We would have asked Brind'Amour for the interview, but since OLN has priority for games in the United States, we got Ray Whitney, who scored two goals.
I just would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that Carolina dressing room. On the other hand, what do you think happened in that Edmonton room?
Not only did they lose the game in heart-breaking fashion, but Conn Smythe candidate Dwayne Roloson is gone for the rest of the playoffs.
Who's going to step up? Ty Conklin certainly didn't make a good impression tonight. One of our analysts, I'm not saying who, is guaranteeing that Markkanen will start in Game 2.
Wow. I know I said that before, but WOW. What a dramatic way to start the finals.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Dar said...

Hey Jay,

watched the game last night - just to see if we could catch a glimpse of you, or hear an out of this world stat (like the one for chris pronger!)...looking forward to the rest of the series, and your comments.. stay cool
Dar (Micheal's aunt)

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time in Raleigh Monday night.... I sure did!!

Several NHL folks have said they've never heard a louder building including Brett Hull (in '02) and Don Cherry said something similar last night. Part of the magic is that we're not just cheering for the laundry, as they say... these guys are part of our community in so many ways, and we are just really proud of having them represent us while shooting for their own dream of winning Lord Stanley.

Bill
Caniac, Section 102

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home