Friday, May 05, 2006

Are my eyes deceiving me?

Okay, that has to be one of the most f*#%@ games, I've seen in awhile.
Everyone expected a lot of offence from Buffalo and Ottawa in the Eastern Conference semi-final, but I don't think anyone foresaw the events of Game 1.
Simply put, the Ottawa Senators self-destructed. All they needed to do was hold on for a minute and they would have taken a 1-0 series lead.
That last minute was a wild ride, as the Sabres tied it on a short-handed goal, lost the lead with the Sens still on the power play and then tied it up with 10 seconds remaining.
When Connolly lifted the puck past Emery on yet another Ottawa defensive miscue, Harry Neale and I looked at each other and laughed. This is the new NHL and if Gary Bettman wanted excitement and lead changes, he certainly saw it tonight. The Sabres came back five times in the game.
With the score tied at 6-6, I knew that this overtime wasn't going to last long. But I didn't expect it to end so quickly. I was looking down at my papers when Anton Volchenkov coughed up the puck and Chris Drury fired a shot into the net for his fourth career playoff OT goal.
The final score: 7-6. It was an exciting start to the series. Let's hope they can keep this up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home