Sunday, April 23, 2006

A fine television performance

There's a lot of work and hours that go into producing live television. But there's a lot of perks to the job.
Not only do I get paid to watch hockey and rub shoulders with some of hockey's top talent, but every now and then I get my ugly mug on television.
That's what happened tonight. Normally, I don't get mentioned when we shoot the booth. I'm just the guy with a headset on and a bank of television monitors to my right.
But Bob Cole did the unexpected tonight. When our producer Sherali Najak asked for me to be included in the shot, I thought nothing of it. Sometimes I'm included, sometimes not. But when we came back from break, Mr. Cole introduced me to over a million hockey fans across Canada.
"This is our statistician, Jason Murdoch," he said as he smiled and looked at me. "Jason, look busy will you?"
The television truck erupted in laughter. Mr. Cole is very serious about hockey and his craft. Such a departure is unusual for him.
It's small moments like that which make the job special.

With the series now tied at 1-1, the HNIC crew is off to Tampa for Games 3 and 4. We're collectively getting up as a group at 6 a.m. so we can catch a flight to Toronto and connect to Florida.
So what's the biggest question among the crew as we head down south? Where's a great place to eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home