Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The adventure begins...soon?

My eyes are blurry as I type this. I don’t even know if my very first blog posting is going to make sense. Right now, I’m thinking that using my backpack as a pillow on my office floor wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

It’s one day after the end of the regular season and I’m dead tired.

If there’s one analogy used about the NHL playoffs around this office is that it’s a marathon, not a sprint. The past two weeks, I’ve been darting around this place looking like Carl Lewis instead of Khalid Khannouchi.

Now I’m paying for it. I’m not the only one pulling double and triple shifts in order to prepare for our biggest two months of the year. There’s about 15 of us in the department.

So why is it that I’m the only one with the zombie look on my face?

Maybe it’s because I haven’t the learned the subtle nature of pacing. This is one of the busiest days of the year in the department, but everyone has learned to tackle every problem one at a time as it appears and not all at once.

Now, in my sophomore season at HNIC, do you think I had learned this skill?

No need to answer my rhetorical question.

So now, at 12:24 a.m., here I am supervising as one of our graphics operators assembles our playoff disk before our Thursday 9 a.m. deadline.

The clock is ticking and we’re only halfway done.

My graphics operator is familiar with this situation. He’s a workhorse. He loves and thrives with every challenge presented to him. We threw a couple of big ones at him this year and so far he’s exceeded them.

Hopefully, he’ll meet the big challenge of meeting this deadline.

I hate deadlines. In journalism school, I would always hand in my work early because I never wrote well as the clock inched towards our cutoff time.

That’s why, next year, we’re starting in January. I’m not kidding.

So that’s why I’m a little nervous and anxious. That’s not a good combination with sleep deprivation.

Once this is over, it will be a huge load off my back and I can concentrate on the first round of the playoffs. I’m covering the Ottawa series and it looks like it will be an interesting one with lots of storylines.

It will be a nice to watch a little hockey and finally get immersed in the playoff experience instead of watching dozens of looping backgrounds and comparing graphics for any discrepancies.

Plus, Tampa Bay is a really nice place to spend a day off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home